Factsheet Novamedia / Charity Lotteries
We believe the world is better off with strong civil organisations. There is no change without them.
We raise funds for civil organisations and increase awareness for their work. Our funds are longterm, the charities can spend the funds as they see fit. We do this by organising lotteries.
The Dutch Charity Lotteries: 60 years of private initiative
- After the Second World War the first charity lottery was founded by Catholics: the ‘Sla-uw-Slag’ Lottery (de SUS Loterij), now BankGiro Lottery: fundraising for reconstruction of the Netherlands
- In 1989 the Humanitas foundation and some small charities founded the Sponsor Lottery - now FriendsLottery (VriendenLoterij)
- In 1989 the Dutch Postcode Lottery (Nationale Postcode Loterij) was founded by three former employees of Oxfam Novib, among which Novib-founder father Simon Jelsma. First campaign was the Christmas Children’s Run (Kinderkerstloop) for the Dutch Council for Refugees (VluchtelingenWerk Nederland)
- In 1998 the Sponsor Lottery (now FriendsLottery) joined forces with the Postcode Lottery
- In 2002 the BankGiro Lottery also joined
- Each lottery has its own license, with specific rules approved by the Dutch Gaming Authority
- The Dutch Charity Lotteries operate on a non-for-profit basis, the lotteries do not have any shareholders and no dividends are given
- Together these lotteries form the Dutch Charity Lotteries, contributing 50% of the stakes to charitable causes
Dutch Charity Lotteries today
- Dutch Postcode Lottery raises funds for charities working in nature & environment, human rights or international cooperation; sectors that previously did not receive any lottery funding. Since 2006 the sector social cohesion in the Netherlands was added
- BankGiro Lottery has been turned into the Dutch lottery for culture
- FriendsLottery raises funds for the sectors health & wellbeing
- Nowadays more than 3 million households play monthly
- In 2015 the Dutch players raised € 443 million for charity, in total € 6.2 billion has been donated Dutch lotteries are large in fundraising, small at the European lottery market.
Novamedia, a marketing and media company with a social mission, is the originator and founder of the Dutch Postcode Lottery, which was launched in 1989 to raise money for charity organisations that work to create a fairer greener world.
Novamedia's mission is to help local charities to set up and operate Charity Lotteries all over the world to raise funds for charities and increase awareness for their work. In Sweden (Svenska PostkodLotteriet), Great-Britain (People’s Postcode Lottery) and Germany (Deutsche Postcode Lotterie) (a) local good cause(s) have a license for a charity lottery and Novamedia assists them as their operator.